Afternoon offering to Loki. Sponge cake, fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
um……what? Strawberry shortcake as an offering? to Loki??? WHAT? needless to say that is absolutely ridiculous in a myriad of ways. *bangs head*
Not everybody is a reconstructionist, and even for those who are, the lore doesn’t actually give much in the way of prescriptive offerings. Sorry, but I fail to see the problem here, beyond a disrespectful attitude and uninvited commentary towards somebody else’s belief system. -Isto
first off- anyone practicing heathen IS a recon. If you are not reconstructing an ancient worldview than all you are doing is reenacting (or not heathenry). BIG difference. secondly, there is a lot in the lore about offerings- nevertheless the reason WHY we give offerings is more important then the what, yes, but in what way shape or form, is a dessert a fit offering? Once you have the worldview down, then you can offer things of substance. Something you picked up at the supermarket? perhaps not- MAYBE if it was part of a feast, or grown locally, but pretty sure that shortbread and whipped cream came straight from the grocery store. What value does that hold? What sacrifice is that? Monetary? Highly unlikely. It is not disrespectful, its an objective view from someone within the heathen community- if someone posts something on tumblr, a public forum, then it is open to public discretion and comment. And AS a heathen, it would be within heathen worldview to value such perspectives, it helps people grow. This isnt about being recon or not, its about honoring and worshiping in a worthy manner. WORTH, the old word from which WORSHIP comes from. Please explain the worth in strawberry shortcake from the supermarket and its relation to Loki.
Just gonna say my piece.
I don’t consider myself a heathen in any way, or part of any organized group. Just a ragged-ended pagan.
I do what feels right. What Loki wants, He gets. Same for any god I follow, or any spirit at all. It doesn’t have to be ~elegant~ or classy food, hell, it can be dollar-store frozen pizza. If He wants it, He’ll get it. And if it’s what I have to offer, and He likes it, then why should any mortal give a fuck what kind of offering it is?
I personally don’t give a shit about trying to act like old Nordic peoples. Hell, I don’t consider Loki a solely Nordic god at all. Yes, the Loki persona comes from that tradition, and it is a good and rich one indeed. But my personal UPG sees Loki as an archetype, and the Norse trickster whose name I use for Him is just one of His many faces.
So if it’s strawberry shortcake He wants, it’s strawberry shortcake He’ll get.
People telling others what they can and cannot offer Loki…
Last I checked He liked sweets and that looks like something He’d love, so shut your corn hole.
Folks. Reality check. You’re arguing over whether a being we can’t even prove exists beyond our own subjective beliefs* would be pissed that someone got him a sugary treat from a grocery store. This is what I left Catholicism for?
*Don’t ask me how to empirically determine the existence of Loki. It probably involves uses of slide rules we mere mortals never considered.
- witchyshelbe likes this
- monochromaticfox likes this
- for-the-love-of-odin reblogged this from rootandrock
- sithsolemn reblogged this from theemperorsfeather
- sluming likes this
- andthefifthprevents likes this
- welcometothewarren reblogged this from robolynxx
- glacilux reblogged this from robolynxx
- beriani likes this
- viperishpath likes this
- the-tricksters-neophyte reblogged this from applesaucebro
- allthingshyper reblogged this from applesaucebro and added:
- robolynxx reblogged this from theemperorsfeather
- applesaucebro reblogged this from theemperorsfeather
- applesaucebro likes this
- duskenpath likes this
- theemperorsfeather reblogged this from unpackingthechatterbox and added:
- loki-you-little-shit likes this
- onlyloni likes this
- star-weaver likes this
- merrysmissmas likes this
- vi-kingdeathmarch likes this
- pugnam likes this
- lomions likes this
- viserystargy reblogged this from astralokean
- the-wounded-oak reblogged this from astralokean
- astralokean reblogged this from viserystargy
- 13grimm13 likes this
- jingle-chelle-bell reblogged this from lizz-ehh
- wandering-neko reblogged this from lizz-ehh
- lizz-ehh reblogged this from virgothepoet
- virgothepoet reblogged this from mosellegreen
- sweetdreamr likes this
- lokeanrampant likes this
- kuraicross likes this
- mcrdeviantclub likes this
- an-angel-with-a-shotgun reblogged this from mosellegreen
- glacilux likes this
- allweareisashes likes this
- meggimed reblogged this from mosellegreen
- meggimed likes this
- sherlkock likes this
- mosellegreen likes this
- thingsgotwyrd reblogged this from thingsgotwyrd and added:
- phoe-nido reblogged this from lazypagan
- jonnethreeway69 likes this
- celticlokean reblogged this from lokean-fae
- a-personal-jab likes this
- digitalmeowmix likes this
- kiwidesune likes this