Did you know I write, too? My writing hasn’t been as prominent in the past couple of years as my artwork, in part because grad school sort of ate my writing brain. (That and I’ve been going more places than ever with my art!)
The image above is the cover for my most recent solo book published by Immanion Press in early 2010, Skin Spirits. I’ve been working with animal parts in my spiritual practice for over a decade, and this book is all about how I’ve learned to work with the sacred remains (the book includes instructions on how to make a lot of projects, too!)
(I do have a new book coming out from Llewellyn in December, New Paths to Animal Totems. Seems I can’t stay away from the writing very long!)
so… you’re not native?
this makes me incredibly uncomfortable.
LUPA IS LATIN FOR SHE WOLF
IT IS NOT ANY SORT OF NATIVE LANGUAGE
IT IS LATIN
DO YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IT IS LATIN FOR?
WHY DID YOU PUT THE WORD ‘PROSTITUTE’ OVER A BUNCH OF STEREOTYPICAL NATIVE THINGS
You realize how racist it is for you to assume that “dead animals” = “Native American”? There a LOT more to the artwork of the tribes than animal parts.
As to my name? I took four years of Latin in high school, during which time I discovered neopaganism, and re-named myself. yes, I’m aware that Lupa means both “wolf” and “prostitute” in Latin, though the latter is more often denoted with the diminunitive “lupula”. Lupa also means “magnifying glass” in Spanish, and “land” or “earth” in Tagalog. What of it?
(Also, go you for bashing on sex workers—SO BRAVE.)
I am very well aware of issues of cultural appropriation. Here. Read this. It’s a recent blog post I made specifically about work with animal parts and the cultural appropriation issue.
In fact, go ahead and read through ALL the posts I’ve made about cultural appropriation and the struggles I’ve had with it and my shamanic practice over the years. And if you’re so inclined, read the anthology on cultural appropriation in the neopagan community that I edited a few years ago and contributed essays to.
Then feel free to ask questions, not make assumptions.
- karlen-hayes reblogged this from thegreenwolf
- vargdottir likes this
- onetwistedpixie reblogged this from thegreenwolf
- fractalcaster reblogged this from glitterywitch
- seekerphaedrus reblogged this from glitterywitch and added:
- debjohnson92 likes this
- darkestrah likes this
- emwolfilie reblogged this from thegreenwolf
- switchwitch likes this
- th1rt3enmoons likes this
- everlazuri likes this
- tttrraaasshhh likes this
- rootandrock reblogged this from thegreenwolf
- phasesof-themoon likes this
- static-nonsense reblogged this from ormspryde and added:
- ormspryde reblogged this from thegreenwolf and added:
- twigthemoonchild likes this
- rambearer likes this
- bubbybobble likes this
- asystoles reblogged this from static-nonsense and added:
- akoaykayumanggi likes this
- tarnagona reblogged this from wide-worlds-joy and added:
- perspicaciousembroiderist reblogged this from thegreenwolf and added:
- perspicaciousembroiderist likes this
- littlegypsyboy reblogged this from golden-zephyr
- littlegypsyboy likes this
- lengihblo likes this
- muttstter likes this
- wide-worlds-joy reblogged this from thegreenwolf and added:
- lamb-of-dawn likes this
- eredar reblogged this from thegreenwolf and added:
- eredar likes this
- bitchiamtheswanqueen reblogged this from thegreenwolf and added:
- littlewolfteeth reblogged this from thegreenwolf and added:
- thegreenwolf likes this
- pixelated-pixie likes this
- ratha-firesong reblogged this from thegreenwolf and added:
- myjourneymythoughts reblogged this from thegreenwolf and added:
- littleboneshaker reblogged this from hellboundwitch and added:
- industrialpunk likes this
- ratha-firesong likes this
- threedifferentways reblogged this from hellboundwitch
- hellboundwitch reblogged this from thegreenwolf
- chaosherself likes this
- maninmink likes this
- golden-zephyr reblogged this from gyrwolf and added:
- gyrwolf reblogged this from thegreenwolf
- gyrwolf likes this
- nomadic-shayejou likes this
- prismpanda likes this